Our Mathematics program is based on the Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract (CPA) approach to gaining mastery. During the 2014-15 school-year, John Rogers Elementary began implementation of “Math in Focus”. The Math in Focus Program has taken the mathematics curriculum from Singapore (one of the top scoring nations in mathematics) and revised it to be used here in the United States.
To access Math in Focus from home please:
- Start at the Online Student Resources page
- Select on “Math in Focus”
- Username: studentsps
- Password: please ask your teacher for the password
Furthermore, we align each of our math lessons to the Common Core State Standards/Math especially the 8 Math Practices (see below). Our children have the opportunity to learn the content and problem solving strategies that will give them the knowledge and confidence to solve complex mathematical problems and communicate their thinking.
8 Mathematics Practices include:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Finally, we consistently use data to improve learning for all students. In our weekly professional learning communities we look at a variety of student growth data, identify areas to improve and that we did well in, and implement instructional improvements continuously.